Adult Dosing .
Dosage forms: 7,14,21,28 ER
Alzheimer dementia, moderate-severe
- [28 mg PO qd]
- Start: 7 mg PO qd, incr. by 7 mg/day no more frequently than qwk; Max: 28 mg/day; Info: may switch from 10 mg IR tab PO bid to 28 mg ER cap qd starting day after last IR dose; do not crush/chew caps or contents
- [adjust dose amount]
- CrCl 5-29: max 14 mg/day; CrCl <5: not defined; HD/PD: not defined; Info: may switch from 5 mg IR tab PO bid to 14 mg ER cap qd starting day after last IR dose
- [see below]
- mild-moderate impairment: no adjustment; severe impairment: caution advised
Peds Dosing .
Peds dosing is currently unavailable or not applicable for this drug.
- hypersens. to drug/class/compon.
- caution if renal impairment, severe
- caution if urinary alkalinization
- caution if hepatic impairment, severe
Drug Interactions .
NMDA receptor antagonist
- OCT2 substrate
- OCT1 inhibitor
- OCT2 inhibitor
- urine pH sensitive
- adefovir dipivoxil
- potassium citrate
- quinidine (antiarrhythmic)
- sodium bicarbonate
- sodium citrate
- tenofovir disoproxil
Adverse Reactions .
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- back pain
- weight gain
- urinary incontinence
- abdominal pain
Lactation: Safety Unknown
Cr at baseline
Look/Sound-Alike Drug Names
Namenda confused with: Amatine
memantine confused with: amlodipine; mesalamine; methimazole
Metabolism: liver minimally; CYP450: none
Excretion: urine (57-82% unchanged); Half-life: 60-80h; Info: undergoes active tubular secretion
Subclass: Alzheimer Dz/Dementia
Mechanism of Action
binds N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors, may slow Ca++ influx and nerve damage (NMDA receptor antagonist)
Manufacturer: Forest Pharmaceuticals
Approximate Retail Price
This information is currently not available for this drug.
Join Now to View Patient Handouts!
Create a FREE Epocrates Online account to access patient medication instructions. Your patients and caregivers will appreciate you printing these friendly handouts, available in English and Spanish. Each handout addresses common concerns such as how to take the medication, and possible side effects.
Current Members: Sign In.