Select a medication above to begin.
Adult Dosing .
Dosage forms: IV
intra-abdominal infections, complicated
- [500 mg IV q8h x5-14 days]
- Info: duration varies by infection site/severity; after 3 days may switch to appropriate PO tx if clinical improvement
- [500 mg IV q8h x10 days]
- Info: duration varies by infection site/severity; may extend to 14 days if concurrent bacteremia
- [adjust dose amount, frequency]
- CrCl 30-50: 250 mg IV q8h; CrCl 10-30: 250 mg IV q12h; CrCl <10: not defined; HD: not defined
- [no adjustment]
Peds Dosing .
Peds dosing is currently unavailable or not applicable for this drug.
- hypersens. to drug/class/compon.
- anaphylactic rxn to beta-lactams
- inhalational use
- ventilator-assoc. pneumonia use
- caution if hypersens. to beta-lactams
- caution if hypersens. to multiple allergens
- caution if renal impairment
- caution if CNS disorder
- caution if seizure hx
- caution if seizure risk
- caution if recent abx-assoc. colitis hx
Drug Interactions .
- valproic acid
Adverse Reactions .
- hypersensitivity rxn
- anaphylaxis/anaphylactoid rxn
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- toxic epidermal necrolysis
- C. difficile-assoc. diarrhea
- pneumonia, interstitial
- ALT, AST elevated
- candidiasis, vulvovaginal
Lactation: Safety Unknown
Cr at baseline, then if moderate-severe renal impairment cont. periodically
Metabolism: kidney minimally; CYP450: none
Excretion: urine 85% (70% unchanged), feces <1%; Half-life: 1h; Info: undergoes active tubular secretion
Mechanism of Action
bactericidal; inhibits cell wall synthesis
Manufacturer: Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Approximate Retail Price
This information is currently not available for this drug.
Join Now to View Patient Handouts!
Create a FREE Epocrates Online account to access patient medication instructions. Your patients and caregivers will appreciate you printing these friendly handouts, available in English and Spanish. Each handout addresses common concerns such as how to take the medication, and possible side effects.
Current Members: Sign In.