Select a medication above to begin.
Adult Dosing .
Dosage forms: 800 mg; 0.8,2.4 g pwdr pkt
- [dosing clarification]
- Info: give 3h before or 1h after other oral drugs
hyperphosphatemia, dialysis pts
- [individualize dose PO tid]
- Start: 800 mg PO tid if PO4 5.6-7.4 mg/dL or 1600 mg PO tid if PO4 >7.5 mg/dL; Max: 14 g/day; Info: may adjust by 800 mg/dose q2wk to maintain PO4 3.5-5.5 mg/dL; give w/ meals
- [no adjustment]
- [not defined]
Peds Dosing .
Peds dosing is currently unavailable or not applicable for this drug.
- hypersens. to drug/class/compon.
- GI obstruction
- caution if dysphagia (PO tab form)
- caution if GI motility disorder
- caution if constipation, severe
- caution if major GI tract surgery
Drug Interactions .
- anion exchange resin/polymer
- mycophenolate mofetil
- mycophenolic acid
Adverse Reactions .
- fecal impaction
- intestinal obstruction
- intestinal perforation
- dysphagia (PO tab form)
- abdominal pain
Lactation: Safety Unknown
Cl, bicarbonate; folic acid; 25-hydroxycalciferol; PT/aPTT
Metabolism: none; CYP450: none; Info: no systemic absorption
Excretion: feces; Half-life: unknown
Subclass: Phosphate Binders
Mechanism of Action
binds intestinal phosphate, lowering serum phosphorus (cationic polymer)
Approximate Retail Price
This information is currently not available for this drug.
Join Now to View Patient Handouts!
Create a FREE Epocrates Online account to access patient medication instructions. Your patients and caregivers will appreciate you printing these friendly handouts, available in English and Spanish. Each handout addresses common concerns such as how to take the medication, and possible side effects.
Current Members: Sign In.