Select a medication above to begin.
Adult Dosing .
Dosage forms: 0.5% sol
- [1-2 gtt in eye(s) q2h while awake x2 days, then q4h while awake x5 days]
- Max: 8 doses/day on days 1-2; 4 doses/day on days 3-7
Peds Dosing .
- Dosage forms: 0.5% sol
- [6 yo and older]
- Dose: 1-2 gtt in eye(s) q2h while awake x2 days, then q4h while awake x5 days; Max: 8 doses/day on days 1-2; 4 doses/day on days 3-7
- hypersens. to drug/class/compon.
Drug Interactions .
No significant interactions known or found for this drug. Caution always advised with multiple medications.
Adverse Reactions .
- vision decr., transient
- foreign body sensation
- ocular burning
- ocular discomfort
Lactation: Safety Unknown
no routine tests recommended
Metabolism: minimal; CYP450: unknown; Info: minimal systemic absorption
Excretion: urine primarily (87% unchanged); Half-life: 6-8h; Info: partial active tubular secretion
Subclass: Antibacterials, Ophthalmic
Mechanism of Action
bactericidal; inhibits DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV (fluoroquinolone)
Approximate Retail Price
- 0.5 % (1 eye dropper, 5mL): $83.72
Join Now to View Patient Handouts!
Create a FREE Epocrates Online account to access patient medication instructions. Your patients and caregivers will appreciate you printing these friendly handouts, available in English and Spanish. Each handout addresses common concerns such as how to take the medication, and possible side effects.
Current Members: Sign In.