Select a medication above to begin.
Adult Dosing .
Dosage forms: 0.5%,1%,2.5% crm, lotion, oint
- [apply bid-qid]
Peds Dosing .
- Dosage forms: 0.5%,1%,2.5% crm, lotion, oint
- [apply bid-qid]
- hypersens. to drug/class/compon.
- caution if skin infection
- caution in pediatric pts
Drug Interactions .
No significant interactions known or found for this drug. Caution always advised with multiple medications.
Adverse Reactions .
- HPA axis suppression
- Cushing syndrome
- intracranial HTN (peds pts)
- acneiform dermatitis
- perioral dermatitis
- allergic contact dermatitis
- secondary infection
- skin atrophy
Lactation: Probably Safe
ACTH stimulation test, urinary free cortisol if large dose, large application site, or occlusive dressings
Metabolism: liver primarily; CYP450: unknown; Info: systemic absorption varies w/ application area and site, occlusion, and pt-specific factors
Excretion: urine; Half-life: 8-12h (biological)
Mechanism of Action
exact mechanism of anti-inflammatory action unknown; inhibits multiple inflammatory cytokines; produces multiple glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid effects
Approximate Retail Price
- 1 % (1 tube of oint, 28g): $11.99
- 2.5 % (1 tube of oint, 28g): $19.99
- 2.5 % (1 jar of crm, 454g): $72.58
- 2.5 % (1 jar of oint, 454g): $249.99
- 1 % (1 bottle of lotion, 118mL): $13.99
- 2.5 % (1 bottle of lotion, 118mL): $202.22
- 1 % (1 tube of crm, 30g): $23.35
- 2.5 % (1 tube of crm, 30g): $11.99
- 2.5 % (1 bottle of lotion, 59mL): $71.60
- 1 % (1 tube of crm, 28g): $7.32
- 2.5 % (1 tube of crm, 28g): $18.29
Join Now to View Patient Handouts!
Create a FREE Epocrates Online account to access patient medication instructions. Your patients and caregivers will appreciate you printing these friendly handouts, available in English and Spanish. Each handout addresses common concerns such as how to take the medication, and possible side effects.
Current Members: Sign In.